Thursday, December 27, 2012

A bamboo artist on Philosopher's path

When I walked down Philosopher's Road(哲学の道, てつがくのみち), I found a really nice handmade shop. In the following photo, you will find a lot of small things on the black cloth.


Yeah! They are all insects made of bamboo. An bamboo artist, Makoto Yamaguchi who was a professional painter for kimono. He came up with the idea to make good toys by bamboo. 


What do you think about arms and antennas which are bent. He did it by heat and a bit strength. Bamboo is easy to break if you bend the thin one. He has the great skill for it, and, of course, his creations are all balanced. Yes, he is an artist!


It's on a swing. Amazing work! 

I said "Do you have a business card?". 
"Yes" he said smiling and leisurely. "But, right now I don't have."
"Oh, why?"
"I made my business card by myself. They are also hand made."
"OK, then how can I get it?"
"Well, could you wait for a month or something? Because some guys are waiting for my business cards. I'm drawing it."
"I see. Then I will wait for a month or so. And come back to this road to get it and take a look your creations again."

I said thank you. Yeah, that was a good meeting!
His age was about 60 or 70 years old? I don't remember it. Because he was very energetic and looked very young.

When you go there, check it out!


The backpackers hostel in Kyoto is located in its historical district, Gion.
Good access by buses and trains. The center of Kyoto.
Please contact us, if you want to book our hostel.



No comments: