Sunday, October 14, 2012

Ukiyoe artist(浮世絵師, うきよえし) in Kyoto

In Japan an old city has an old temple. An old thing has its own meaning. It's not just old. We live in Kyoto, and we don't care the oldness of Kyoto. But, sometimes we find anything old. By the discovery we realize that we live in an old city. That is Japanese oldness.


This temple is so old. The name is Kennin-ji temple(建仁寺, けんにんじ). In front of that temple, I found something old.



From my view it doesn't look very special. The architecture is Japanese style. When I found pictures hanged on the wall, I approached it. Pictures outside a wall.. it's a little bit strange.



The shop was an Ukiyoe(浮世絵, うきよえ) shop. All the pictures were UKIYOE.



And it had the English message. I read it, and got fun :)
-------------------------
"UKIYOE SMALL MUSEUM" 
OPEN WHEN I WAKE UP"
AND CLOSE WHEN I MUST GO 
TO SLEEP 
WHEN I'VE HAD ENOUGH
 THE STORE IS CLOSED
-------------------------




There were so many Ukiyoe. Yeah, Ukiyoe is Japanese woodblock print. Of course I love them!



I went inside. And watched various types of Ukiyoe. All of them had their own fascinations. Some were new styles of pictures, yet kept the old process of printing.


This man is an Ukiyoe artist. He did never make himself look big. He was very humble, and very knowledgeable. His attitude was sort of ideal of Japanese humbleness. His name is Mamoru Ichimura(市村 守, いちむら まもる). One of the successors of Japanese woodblock print. He has a great technique to complete hit works.


His work style was very free. And his personality was also free. Free makes arts. If not, artists always watched their clocks. Without watching time he can spend his days, and those days must be brilliant.


If he is not inside, and the shop is closed, this bicycle is gone. He goes somewhere by it. It must be a good sign to tell whether it's open or not. 

Yeah, I felt something old, when I watched Ukiyoe and talked with him. 
"Everything is old here" 
That words remained in my mind.

I will drop in the shop again to talk with him and enjoy Ukiyoe works. Everything is old. And the human relation ship is something new.

Kyoto has a lot of aspects.. I love them all!!



The backpackers hostel in Kyoto is located in its historical district, Gion.
Good access by buses and trains. The center of Kyoto.
Please contact us, if you want to book our hostel.



No comments: